Pointwise License Policies
Activation Key – A unique 16-digit number that the customer enters into their license server to receive a license file from the Pointwise activation server.
Annual License - A legal agreement granting the right to use the Pointwise software for 12 months (one year).
Customer ID - Unique identifier Pointwise uses for tracking customers throughout the sales and support process. Customer IDs are assigned by Pointwise. For customers supported by a distributor other than Pointwise, the distributor will assign the customer ID.
Customer Site - A customer site is single license server with a unique customer ID.
Floating License - An arrangement where a limited number of licenses for Pointwise are hosted on a single server and are shared among a larger number of users. Pointwise only sells floating licenses and does not sell node-locked licenses.
License Expiration Date - The date that the license file expires.
License File - The mechanism used to control usage of the Pointwise software.
Maintenance Agreement - The right to receive software maintenance releases, corrections, new releases and technical support.
Maintenance Expiration Date - The date the annual license or the maintenance for a perpetual license expires.
Permanent License File - A license file with no expiration date.
Perpetual License - A legal agreement granting the right to use the Pointwise software forever. This is different than the mechanism used to control usage, which is the license file.
Process - A process allows a single instance of Pointwise to be run simultaneously.
Standard License File - License file with an expiration date.
- The right to use Pointwise for 12 months (one year).
- Maintenance and support are included in the annual license fee.
- The right to use Pointwise on a perpetual basis is available for three (3) times the annual license fee.
- The first year's maintenance fee is included in the perpetual license fee.
- After the first 12 months, continuing maintenance and support can be purchased for 18 percent of the perpetual license price for each 12 month period. When a maintenance agreement expires, technical support and software maintenance will not be provided.
- If maintenance and support lapses, it can be reinstated within six months of the expiration date by paying for the lapsed duration plus the new maintenance period.
- Pointwise, Inc. issues license files in 12 month increments instead of permanent licenses. We will only issue permanent license files for special situations and only with special conditions required for license server changes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- For sites without a current maintenance agreement, license files will be for the version of the software available at the expiration of the last paid maintenance period.
- If a maintenance agreement has lapsed for 3 or more years, a permanent license may be requested and issued.
License Server Changes
- Customers with a current maintenance agreement and standard license file can move processes from one license server to another during their period of performance by paying the higher amount of either the difference in pricing between the pre-and post-transfer multiple process discounts, or $250.
- If a customer has a permanent license file and they want to move it to a different license server, they will be required to verify in writing that the old license file is no longer in use and has been deleted. Please contact our support team at email@example.com for more information.
- For sites with a perpetual license without a current maintenance agreement, license files for new servers will be for the version of the software available at the expiration of the last paid maintenance period. In addition, a $500 license server change fee will be charged.