Pointwise Training an Investment in Good Grids, Best Approaches
Pointwise training courses equip you with the skills to generate good
grids using the best approaches to overcome many common preprocessing
challenges. Suitable for both novice and experienced Pointwise users,
the courses cover the latest features and best practices. Pointwise
training provides attendees with hands-on tutorials guided by an
experienced staff offering one-on-one assistance.
Pointwise Standard Course
The three-day Pointwise Standard Course covers everything from the user
interface to automation via Glyph scripting.
- Introduction: Review Pointwise basics, including the Graphical User
Interface (GUI), Pointwise terminology and meshing concepts.
- Database Creation: Create a simple 3D database using the most
commonly employed database tools, including curve and surface creation
and the layer manager.
- 3D Structured: Practice creating connectors and assembling domains
and blocks to create an axi-symmetric grid on the database you created.
- Structured Solver: Learn every detail about the elliptic PDE solver
attributes and when and where certain attribute settings make
- 3D Unstructured: Create a simple 3D unstructured grid using
techniques for curve creation, grid point distribution, and more.
- Unstructured Solver: Learn how to control tri- and tet-cell sizes
and about the tools that help you automatically cluster unstructured
domains to underlying database curvature.
- Extrusions: Tackle all the extrusion types supported by Pointwise -
Normal, Rotate, Translate and Path -- and face assembly for extrusions.
See how to combine extrusions into hybrid grid topologies.
- More Tools: Delve deeper into editing tools, connector dimension and
distribution commands, and other tools.
- Solid Modeling: Use Pointwise's solid modeling capability - model
and quilt assembly and surface trimming - to overcome inconsistencies in
CAD data and make meshing more efficient.
- T-Rex: A thorough overview of the concepts underlying the
anisotropic tetrahedral meshing tool (T-Rex) equips you to use this
powerful tool, including setup in the unstructured solver, using push
attributes for top-down mesh control, and prism recombination from the
- Glyph: Receive an introduction to Pointwise's powerful scripting
capabilities and learn more about how to use this time saving tool to
create templates and macros.
Glyph Scripting Course
The Glyph Scripting Course, a mixture of lecture and hands-on exercises,
includes everything you will need to begin writing your own macros and
- Automating mesh generation using Glyph scripting
- Demonstrating basic Tcl syntax and conventions
- Illustrating of how to transition from Glyph 1 to Glyph 2
- Creating meshes using Glyph to extrude grid entities
- Explaining and demonstrating basic Tk widget creation
- Creating procedures for commonly used Glyph methods
Register for an Upcoming Course
Upcoming Pointwise Standard Courses this year are 15-17 July and 7-9
October. A Glyph Scripting Course is offered 16-18 September. Classes in
Fort Worth, Texas, are free for customers with current maintenance.
If you would like to have either of these courses taught at your company
or have a course customized to your needs, Pointwise will be happy to
travel to your site and provide training for up to 25 attendees. Email
for more information.
Pointwise classes are an investment in yourself that will pay off for
you and your company.
◀ Previous Article
Next Article ▶