The Set Dimension command allows you to choose whether you will be creating and exporting to your CAE solver a two dimensional (2D) or three
dimensional (3D) grid. The command consists of only a pull-right menu (image shown below) consisting of the two choices.
Use the Set Dimension command to choose whether to build and export either a 2D or 3D grid.
Fidelity Pointwise will open in 3D mode by default. Choosing 2D for your solver dimension will impact the software in a number of ways:
- You will not be allowed to create blocks using either Assemble or Assemble Special.
- You will not be allowed to create blocks using the Extrude suite of commands. Therefore, the Extrude commands will be unavailable if only
a domain is currently selected. Domains will be ignored for Extrude when both connectors and domains are currently selected.
- You will only be able to select a CAE solver which supports 2D grids.
- You will now be able to set boundary conditions (BCs) on connectors and volume conditions (VCs) on domains.
- The Grid, Cell Count command will now provide totals for triangle and quadrilateral cells and points.
- The Block heading and icon will not be shown in the List panel panel.
- File, Export, CAE will write a file formatted appropriately for the 2D version of the CAE solver you currently have selected.
- Attempting to change from a 3D solver to a 2D solver when blocks are present will result in a confirmation dialog as any existing blocks will be